Solar Powered Attic Fans
A system of active ventilation, the solar attic fan is typically mounted on the attic roof. The fan blades are powered by solar panels which capture sunlight energy to drive the fan’s blades. This ensures constant airflow to the attic space.
According to scientific consensus that warm air rises, and the colder air sinks. Attics are the most ideal space to store the heat inside the home. The temperature can rise to 160 degrees during hot days, even though the outside temperature is 95oF-97oF.
If an attic isn’t well protected, homeowners may face the high cost of energy as well as mold and even cold winters. A solar attic fan is one of the most effective ways to solve these problems.
Attic fans are well-known inventions. They can help cut down on the transfer of heat from ceilings to the attic air duct system.
According to the Florida Solar Energy Center (FSEC), photovoltaic fans can lower summer temperatures by up to 20 degrees. However, they’re not as effective in well-insulated attics.
Due to their photovoltaic components, they significantly cut the cost of energy as well as environmental impact. Additionally, you don’t need to be concerned about the electricity source being out of commission.
Solar attic fans are highly recommended for homes with issues with insulation.
This solar attic fan effectively removes heat from attics. This helps protect your roof and heating system while improving the comfort in your home.
The solar attic fan will help keep your attic fresh. They do not just extract warm air from your roof and allow the cool air to dry, they could also function without energy, saving you cash on utility bills. It is a sustainable, efficient, and effective alternative.
A solar attic fan can be a wise investment. When you are considering upgrading the ventilation system in your attic, first decide which one is the best one for your needs. There are no two attic solar fans that are the same therefore you need consider the structure of your house.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Solar Attic Fans
Attic fans can be used to cool your attic in summer and take roof moisture out in winter. The solar attic fan has greater benefits than powered models. Attic fans with solar power could be the best option for you. Here are the top 15 pros and cons.
There are plenty of great features to take into consideration when purchasing solar-powered fans in your attic. Here are some positive points in the debate over solar attic fan pros and cons.
- Installation is free of cost - There are no ongoing costs after the solar attic fan has been installed, unless there is an emergency. Solar attic fan installation will not increase your electricity bill.
- Lower Attic Temperature – Utilizing an attic fan that is solar powered can be a great solution to manage heat particularly in summer, when temperatures can exceed the 130 degree mark. It can truly aid in the reduction of heat.
- They won’t steal cool air from the Rest of Your House Don’t be worried that solar fans may be able to steal cool air out of your house. Solar fans won’t steal cool air from your house. However, powered attic fans are able to siphon cool air from your home, making your air conditioner work more difficult.
- Noise is not a problem Solar attic fans is the same as powered fans.
- There’s no need for an electrician Solar attic fans gets its energy from the sun, therefore you don’t need an electrician. But, electric fans could get burned out and can become fire hazards.
- There is no danger from carbon monoxide. Powered attic fans that run on electricity can cause negative pressure zones which pull carbon monoxide from the combustion devices to the attic. The carbon monoxide danger from solar attic fan systems is not present.
- Save Your Roof The winter heat rises to the attic. Solar attic fans help pull the heat and moisture out of the attic, helping to prevent damage to your roof caused by mold, wood rot and ice expansion. It can also prevent drips of ice.
- Keep adjacent areas cooler - Rooms closer to a solar fan is noticeably lower.
- Good for the Planet The Earth is better when it is powered by solar energy. We can make a difference in the near future by choosing sustainable energy sources over other power sources. We invite you to visit our website to find out more about the sustainable energy sources.
- Visually appealing Solar Attic Fans are more obscure than those powered attic fans. They are more visible and less distracting than other models. This is the reason the solar-powered attic fan is extremely well-known.
While solar attic fans offer many advantages however, they also come with negatives. Here are a few negatives of solar attic fans.
- More efficient if overcast. Solar energy isn’t always optimal, particularly when the sun is set. A house can still be hot, regardless of whether it’s under sunlight or not.
- Low Monetary Savings - One year of testing solar fans led to a 1000 square foot house that was air-conditioned. It conserved 460 kWh of energy. It’s a savings of only 40 dollars per year.
- Roof Leaks - Roof leaks could originate from the solar fans (unless the installation is done by experts who are knowledgeable about what they do), especially if the flashing isn’t done properly. Proper maintenance is another important consideration. Take into consideration the possibility of water damage if you choose to use the vertical wall of gable used in place of the roof
- The price is high – A typical solar-powered attic fan costs around $600 , and it can be installed for between $150 and $300. A number of solar attic fans could be required for your house.
- Low Air Movement Solar attic fans move more air that powered ones. Solar attic fans might not be as effective as powered fans, so they may not move as much air from your attic.
THE BEST SOLAR ATTIC FANS
It is time to decide which one will be the most suitable for your house. Your home’s layout and construction will dictate the type the solar fan that you select. We’ll discuss the three different types of solar attic fans in this article.
A solar gable mounted on your roof could be the most effective alternative. It makes it easier to install. Installing your device on the roof, and then plugging it in is easy. It’s a lot easier as installing solar panel on attic fans in your attic.
Due to their location, gable-mounted fans are much smaller in efficiency than ceiling-mounted fans. This means that there’s a compromise. It is crucial to place your unit so that it can maximize its exposure to sunshine. Due to the gable mount it is a bit difficult, but it’s not impossible.
If you have enough room an gable-mounted solar panel is a good option for your home.
While the solar attic fans can really be durable and effective, they are more difficult to install. In order to operate correctly, you’ll need create holes on your roof to allow the fan to vent. After that, you must close the gap. This can take some time.
Due to the complexity involved in the installation of roof-mounted fans numerous homeowners hire experts to do it. Roof-mounted solar attic fans are more expensive than other options, however they’re well worth the additional cost due to their efficiency.
Despite their disadvantages, roof-mounted models are one of the most popular solar attic fans. They are more effective than other varieties.
Roof-mounted solar fans are the most effective since they get the greatest amount of sunlight. This could help to reduce the cost of the initial installation.
Portable solar fans are a great option for those who wish to travel. The panel and the fan will come in two parts that are connected. The panels are simple to install and can be placed practically anywhere.
These are ideal for attic air circulation. They can, however, be used to ventilate smaller spaces like garages or RVs. These are portable and may be carried with you well when camping or while on the move.
These are great options, but they’re not able to provide the same level of power as gable-mounted or roof-mounted solar fans. They still function well however they compromise the quality of ventilation in order to provide greater flexibility.
SOLAR POWERED ATTIC FAN HELPS YOU SAVE MONEY
It is a matter of debate whether solar attic fans can help homeowners save costs on cooling.
The FSEC study shows that high-quality solar fans can provide significant cooling to the attic. This cooling impact is more apparent dependent on where you reside and the season it is. Based on the climate of their area states that have warmer climates, including Texas, California, Florida and California are more likely to experience longer cooling periods. Similar cooling benefits are observed in other states that have moderate climates in the hot summer months.
It is difficult to link the cooling benefits of upgrading the attic venting system, by installing an attic fan, as well as direct energy savings. It is difficult to calculate the amount of energy consumed due to the numerous factors to consider, including attic insulation. Other aspects to consider include home occupancy, air sealing utility bills, as well as other energy consumption reliance.
All that said that, a solar-powered fan in the attic should theoretically offer some savings in energy costs when paired with good air sealing
Insulation. Solar attic fans eliminate excess heat from an attic. This prevents heat from accumulating within the attic, and radiating into cool living spaces. You’ll feel more at ease when there is less heat entering your living space. This means you will not need additional HVAC systems, and reduces the monthly cost of your utility costs.
Solar attic fan aren’t just energy efficient, they will also help you save money over the long-term. A properly ventilated attic will reduce the chance of moisture and heat buildup. A poor ventilation system can lead to expensive mold growth and structural damage. These problems can lead to expensive repairs and remediation that can cost thousands of dollars. It’s an effective way to combat these problems by installing a ventilation system that is 100% powered by sunlight.
A 26 percent Federal Tax Credit is available for solar-powered attic fans. This credit applies to the cost of the purchase, installation, along with sales taxes. Other incentives could be provided by specific States municipalities, States or utility companies.
OTHER FACTORS YOU SHOULD CONSIDER
You should consider other factors too, as they can influence the efficiency that your attic solar fan.
You should be sure your fan buy is powerful enough to vent your attic. This can be done by comparing the fan’s ventilation power to the area.
Venting capacity refers to the volume of air being transported per minutes (or CFM). The cubic feet of your attic can be 70 percent greater over the size of the fan’s CFM.
A fan with a high power output will generate more electricity. You might need more fan to ventilate your attic if the one you’re interested in isn’t powerful enough or has enough venting capacity.
If you’re looking for specific features such as the humidistat or thermostat, ensure that they come with the unit before you buy it.
Best Solar Attic Fan Company
Nevada Solar Power Installers is the best choice. It is produced in the USA. Nevada Solar Power Installers products have 25 years of warranty and an extended lifetime warranty.
Are you looking to increase the air circulation inside your home by installing one these incredible fans? Get a free assessment of your attic and price for a solar fan.
Solar Panel Company
The Nevada Solar Power Installers is undoubtedly one of the most well-known solar attic fans available currently. Every Nevada Solar Power Installers fan is produced in the USA made with only the best materials. It has a reputation of excellent quality and high efficiency.
There are many options to choose from for Nevada Solar Power Installers. The Nevada Solar Power Installers is available in two variations: the roof-mounted Embedded version with the solar panel integrated into the device, and the traditional Gable-mounted and portable versions. Tilt models are also available. This enables the panel to be placed at the correct angle to get the best sun exposure.
Nevada Solar Power Installers fans come with a warranty of 25 years. This guarantees that you’re always happy with the purchase. Contact us if you’re interested in a quotation on materials and installation. We offer all Nevada Solar Power Installers products are offered through us as a licensed distributor.